At St. Mary, Cause of Our Joy Confirmation is normally celebrated in the spring after two full years of preparation. During their 7th and 8th grade years the elect engage in classwork, Christ Service and Retreats. Sponsors play an integral part in the preparation process.
See the Catechetical Calendar for upcoming dates.
As a Sacrament of Initiation, Confirmation is closely related to Baptism and Eucharist. Christians are reborn in Baptism, strengthened by Confirmation and nourished and sustained by the Eucharist. Confirmation renews and strengthens the baptismal call to responsibility as a member of the community, responsibility to bring the Good News, and responsibility to serve others and take part in the mission of Jesus Christ.
Candidates wishing to celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation are to:
- have participated fully in a cumulative, formal religious formation program or its equivalent through the 7th grade.
- attend 8th grade weekly class sessions
- attend Sunday Mass regularly.
Parents of the candidates are to:
- see that their children attend Sunday Mass regularly.
- register for the Confirmation preparation program.
- attend parent meeting
- Work with the candidate at home with the support of (and in cooperation with) the Religious Formation staff.
The Confirmation preparation program consists of one parent/candidate information and registration meeting, commitment to service, Retreat, one candidate/sponsor night, Reconciliation, rehearsal, and Confirmation Mass.